Cyanotype

The cyanotype is one of the most recognizable processes due to its blue tone. John Herschel, the man who coined the term photography, invented it in 1842. Like most of those who were developing photographic processes, Herschel was a scientist and this process gained fame for scientific reasons. Anna Atkins, a botonist, created the first book to include photographs by using the cyanotype process to create photogenic drawings of British algae. Atkins also used this process to document ferns and other plant life.


Anna Atkins. Cyanotype

The cyanotype process is very simple and can be done by anyone. It is a simple mixture of two solutions, potassium ferricyanide solution and ferric ammonium citrate solution. When these two solutions are mixed in equal parts the form a green liquid. The cyanotype process can be performed on any surface that will absorb the mixture. Any paper, cloth, wood, and even stone can create a cyanotype. I have tested several different types of papers as well as wood for this process. Simply coat your surface with the chemical mixture out of UV light, when it is dry place your object or negative in contact with the surface and expose. This process is fixed simply by rinsing the photograph in water. If there is not a good surface and the solution did not get absorbed the image may wash completely off the surface.

I have had my image wash off significantly and that is very frustrating. It is easy to avoid when you know which types of papers work best, my favorite paper is the 100% rag. I enjoyed creating cyanotypes on wood more than any photographic process I have tried. To get a good image I coated my wood with a gelatin layer before coating twice with cyanotype mix. I found that the image really comes out with a lot of washing since the solution can be absorbed deep into the wood.

This Photograph of my wood print does not show the level of detail visible when observing the piece up close in high light. I have made 3 prints on wood and plan to continue experimenting with this process.

My favorite aspect of cyanotype printing is the versatility. I have seen people create very interesting objects such as clothing, stone tiles with photographs, and photographs on other cloths. I enjoyed printing on wood, an idea I became interested in hoping to cyanotype a skateboard.

Links:

http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/cyanotype/cyanotype-classic-process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAZYdXve8iE

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=51

No comments:

Post a Comment